- DanceStar Competitions consist of the DanceStar World Tour Qualifying Competitions and the DanceStar Finals – World Dance Masters;
- The DanceStar Qualifying Competitions are each held once every season in specific locations – the best contestants who qualify at any of the DanceStar Qualifying Competitions can participate in the DanceStar Finals – World Dance Masters;
- Schedules for the DanceStar World Tour Qualifying Competitions are published in September (i.e. at the beginning of each season);
- All participants who qualify are then placed in the A-League or B-league – depending on the quality of their performance and the scores received during the DanceStar Qualifying Competitions;
- The DanceStar Finals – World Dance Masters are held each year in May in the city of Poreč, Croatia;
- Eligible participants are those who have qualified at the DanceStar Qualifying Tournaments and have a Starting Permission;
- All DanceStar Qualifying Competitions as well as the DanceStar Finals – World Dance Masters are endorsed and supervised by ESDU – the European Dance Union – an acclaimed and leading international dance federation which guarantees the highest technical and organizational quality, as well as impartial judging at all DanceStar Qualifying Competitions and DanceStar Finals – World Dance Masters;
- The only way to qualify for the DanceStar Finals – World Dance Masters is through the participation in the DanceStar Qualifying Competitions.
- DanceStar Qualifying Competitions are open to all amateur and professional dancers
- Any school, club, union or individual has the right to participate in DanceStar Qualifying Competitions;
- DanceStar Qualifying Competitions are open to members and non-members alike;
- A performer(s) in a solo or duo/trio/quartet group category, may dance as many dances in the same discipline/group/age category, but only their best score will be considered for ranking (for further information see ch.12 Scoring System);
- We reserve the right to check the participants’ age and ensure the number of registered dancers correlates with the number of dancers on stage during the choreography. If it is established that there were more dancers on stage than registered, the penalty fee shall be equal to the fee for the category in which the choreography was performed (i.e. if the choreography was registered as a group with 6 dancers, and there were 8 dancers on stage, they will be charged an extra penalty fee for a group with the maximum possible number of dancers, in this case, 12 dancers.). In the case of a Formation, the extra penalty fee shall be calculated as if there were 26 dancers on the stage.
DANCESTAR WORLD TOUR – QUALIFYING COMPETITIONS
- All DanceStar World Tour Qualifying Competitions are open to all amateurs and professionals that wish to participate;
- Registration for the tournament is done ONLINE at the Registration portal;
- DanceStar Qualifying Tournaments are the only way to qualify and be eligible to participate at the DanceStar Finals – World Dance Masters A and B League;
- Each tournament has a deadline and a limited number of participants and entries. The registration for the tournament is closed when the deadline or the participant/entries limit is reached;
- Each school or dancer can participate at one or more DanceStar Qualifying Tournaments. If a choreography does not qualify for the DanceStar Finals – World Dance Masters A or B League at one qualifying tournament, after receiving the scores and comments of the judges, the aforementioned school or dancer can improve the choreography and register for another DanceStar Qualifying Tournament. Furthermore, it is possible to go from B League to A League by improving the choreography and registering for another DanceStar Qualifying Tournament;
- Participants may compete several times;
DANCESTAR FINALS – WORLD DANCE MASTERS
A (Top Class) and B (Standard) LEAGUE
- Depending on the achieved score at the DanceStar Qualifying Tournaments, choreographies are eligible for either A or B League Finals;
- The obligatory Starting Permission has to be presented at the Check-In at the DanceStar Finals – World dance Masters;
- A choreography that qualified at the qualifiers can differ from that performed at the DanceStar Finals:
- Changes are possible in the following segments:
- Choreography can be changed(up to 20% ) in order to improve the performance in accordance with the judges’ comments from the qualifiers, but the choreography has to be recognizable as the one that has qualified;
- Dancers cannot be replaced/substituted, removed or added unless requested in written form with a valid reason. Dance can be placed into a LOWER category with the approval of the DanceStar board;
- If a dancer is competing in an age category by him or herself, he or she can request to be placed into a HIGHER age category;
- Age or group category changes of a qualified dance have to be reported by filling out a form at the Registration portal.
- Participants from countries where the DanceStar Qualifying Tournaments are not held have the possibility to qualify at DanceStar all other Countries.
- In order to qualify for the DanceStar A League Finals, the choreography must score a minimum of 75 points of the 120 points available.
- In order to qualify for the DanceStar B League Finals, the choreography must score between 50 and 74 points of the 120 points available.
- MINI: 4 – 8 years;
- CHILDREN: 9 – 11 years;
- JUNIORS: 12 – 15 years;
- SENIORS: 16 years and older.
- The cut-off date for age groups is the last day of the DanceStar Finals – World Dance Masters.
- MINI, CHILDREN, JUNIOR, and SENIOR groups are determined by the age of the eldest dancer in the group.
- All age categories can perform together.
Age category for the DanceStar World Tour 2017
- Dancer belongs to MINI category if he/she is born between 29/05/2008 and 28/05/2013 (including these dates). Ages 4 to 8, 99.
Dancer belongs to CHILDREN category if he/she is born between 29/05/2005 and 28/05/2008 (including these dates). Ages 9 to 11, 99.
Dancer belongs to JUNIOR category if he/she is born between 29/05/2001 and 28/05/2005 (including these dates). Ages 12 to 15.99.
Dancer belongs to SENIOR category if he/she is born before 28/05/2001 (including this date). Ages 16 and above.
- We reserve the right to ask for Proof of Age on the day of competition by checking the participants’ passports.
Solo: 1 dancer
Duo/Trio/Quartet: 2/3/4 dancers
Group: 5-12 dancers
Formation: 13 + dancers
Production number group: 9 + dancers
- National/Folkloric Dance
- Contemporary Modern
- Musical Theater
- Tap Dance
- Acrobatic Dance
- Production Number
- Urban dance styles
- ATTENTION! Choreographies registered in incorrect disciplines will result in 20 points deduction. Please make sure to sign in the correct discipline. Example of each discipline can be found here: dancestar.org/disciplines
- If a Choreoghraphy competes in an incorrect discipline (as declared by the judges) it can still qualify to the World Dance Masters given it has reached the needed amount of points (after point deduction). However, at the finals the Dance will be automatically registered into the correct discipline.
Solo: 1.00 – 2.00 min
Duo/Trio/Quartet: 1.00 – 2.00 min
Group: 2.00 – 3.00 min
Formation: 2.00 – 3.30 min
Production Number: 3.00 min – 4.30 min
- Timing starts with the distinct start and ends with the distinct end of the performance;
- Time limits have a window of 5 seconds. All failure to stay within these time limits will result in a 20 point deduction.
- Music must be uploaded via the Registration portal when registering a dance.
- Uploaded music should be in a .mp3 format.
- Deadline for music upload is 24 hours before the competition day
- In case the music is not uploaded, the registered dancers will not be able to perform
- 1 CHOREOGRAPHY = 1 .MP3 file
(a) Technique: 40%
(b) Choreography: 30%
(c) Level of performance: 15%
(d) Overall impression: 15%
- Every judge assigns points on a scale from 1 to 10 for each of the criteria. The total number of points one judge can give is a maximum of 40 points.
- The maximum number of points is 120!
- The jury consists of 3 judges for each dance. One spare judge is always present.
- Evaluation is undisclosed and final.
- There is only one round.
- We reserve the right to introduce an additional round in the case of a large number of entries in the same discipline and category, but only upon the judges’ request.
- After the competition, the competitors can review the number of points they were given as well as the judges’ comments in their own profile under registration portal.
- Points and comments for each choreography will be available 7 days after the competition finishes, on the registration portal for each dance that has performed.
- Dances must have a minimum of 75 points in order to qualify for the DanceStar Finals – World Dance Master A-League;
- Dances must have between 50 and 74 points in order to qualify for the Finals – World Dance Master B League;
- If they wish, dancers can improve their score by registering for any other tournament that is a part of the DanceStar World Tour;
- In case they get a lower score on another DanceStar World Tour tournament, the best score will be taken into consideration for the finals;
- Each Solo dancer, Duo/Trio/Quartet can perform in as many different choreographies within the same discipline/category as he/she wishes, but only the highest-scored choreography will be ranked. All the performed choreographies will be scored and as such can qualify for either the DanceStar Finals – World Dance Master B-League or the DanceStar Finals – World Dance Master A-League Finals;
- The full placement results (places 4 and lower) will be available after the award ceremony on our website www.dancestar.org
- Awards are given at all DanceStar World Tour Competitions:
- 1st Place – DanceStar Trophy
- 2nd Place – DanceStar Trophy
- 3rd Place – DanceStar Trophy
For all contestants, certificates of attendance will be given access to in a digital form over the registration portal to be printed out by the school director.
Certificates of placement will be available in the same form as the certificates of attendance.
The full placement results (places 4 and lower) will be available after the award ceremony on our website www.dancestar.org
- Special awards are given at all DanceStar World Tour competitions:
- Best male talent wins a €300 in money prize
- Best female talent wins a €300 in money prize
- Best choreography wins Dancers package at World Dance Masters (without accommodation)
- Outstanding performance award is given by the jury to competitors that are recognized as exceptional in any category not covered by „Special awards“
- By registering for a tournament you agree to the rules and guidelines of the ESDU.
- A representative of the school or club must be available backstage at least five dances before they are scheduled to dance.
- Directors or trainers are not allowed to hold up signs or give signals to dancers or step on the stage during a performance.
- Schools are solely responsible for any injuries or accidents that take place during the competition. Every school has to have their own insurance.
Failure to follow the following rules can result in a 20 point deduction:
Failure to properly prepare music!
Large changes to any qualified choreography!
Going more than 5 seconds over the allowed time limit!
Entering choreography under the wrong discipline!
ATTENTION: If a Choreoghraphy competes in an incorrect discipline (as declared by the judges) it can still qualify to the World Dance Masters given it has reached the needed amount of points (after point deduction). However, at the finals the Dance will be automatically registered into the correct discipline.
- The representative of each school or club will have the opportunity to attend teachers meetings where they will be informed of the program or changes in the competition.
- Trainers, coaches, and audience members can be reprimanded and removed from the theater for unruly behavior.
- Schools can be disqualified in case of unruly behavior by dancers, trainers, coaches or school directors.
- Recording, taking photos with professional equipment is forbidden unless authorized by the event organizer.
- Original choreography is allowed in all disciplines.
- Acrobatics are defined as typically gymnastic and not dancing elements (salt, flick-flack). Jumps and lifts are not included in this definition and are exceptions to this rule
- Acrobatics and gymnastics should only be used if they are properly integrated and do not dominate the dance style.
- The performance order must be adhered to in order to stay on schedule. For any extra time needed for costume changes, we should be informed in advance via mail at email@example.com
- The starting list will be announced on the registration portal one week prior to the tournament.
- Entrance onto the stage should occur directly after the start number is announced and should lead directly into starting positions. Participants should exit the stage immediately after taking their bows.
- All costumes, music and performance styles should be done in good taste and in the spirit of good sportsmanship.
- Props are allowed as long as they are quickly set up on the stage before a performance while the dancers take place, and are immediately taken down after a performance while the dancers step down.
- Personal lighting effects including any fire effects are strictly forbidden.
- Creativity, originality, movement, effect, space usage and abilities of the performers are important.
- Choreography should be appropriate for the ability and age of the performers.
- Individual points will only be given out in the solo categories. All other results are based on the accomplishment of the entire group as a whole.
- Duo and trios should be choreographed in a way which highlights the relationship between one to another.
- Live singing is only allowed in the “Production number”.
- Directors of the schools/clubs are invited and expected to take part at the official opening, teachers meetings and the prize award ceremony.
- Before application to any of the DanceStar Qualifying Tournaments, it is obligatory to register at the Registration Portal.When registering at the portal, the portal will automatically calculate the price of entry and registration fees and provide instructions for payment;
- Entry fees are charged per dancer/per dance;
- Registration fees are charged per dancer, once per season.
- Each participant has to pay a one-time registration fee of 12,00 €. By paying the registration fee, the dancer has the right to participate at any of the DanceStar Qualifying Tournaments and if qualified, at the DanceStar Finals – World Dance Masters.
- Registration fees are non-refundable.
- All entries with paid Fees and an uploaded .mp3 will receive starting permission, giving them the right to participate. The “Starting Permission” will be received via e-mail;
- Only dances that receive a “Starting Permission” can participate in the tournament.
- Any change to the dances that are already registered for the tournament will result in a 3 € penalty fee in case that the change results in a change on the start list. i.e dancer is removed from the dance, and the dance goes from „Formation“ to „Group“ category.
- Any dance that is added to the Start list after the deadline will have to pay 3 € penalty fee
- Penalty fee has to be paid to receive the „Starting permission“
- In case Penalty fee is not paid prior to the competition start, it can be paid at the check-in. After the Penalty fee is paid, dancers will receive the „Starting permission“ and only after that, they can perform.
Copyright 2016. by EOL Solutions Limited. All rights reserved. No part of this document may be reproduced or copied in any way, including the format of the competition, score sheets or concept of the tournament, without the express written permission of EOL Solutions Limited. DanceStar is registered Trademark of EOL Solutions Limited.